Before any surgery it is protocol that your medical history will be collected by a number of healthcare professionals involved in the surgical process. It can often feel like you are answering the same questions over and over again but while at times it may feel frustrating, this is a necessary step in order to meet quality assurance and medical insurance guidelines. You may find it useful to have everything written down which can reduce your frustration levels and help speed up the process.
The following information will be asked for:
- The name and contact details for a designated family member or friend who will be the primary contact to receive information from us and then pass it on to the rest of the family if you wish.
- A list of all the doctors you currently see and the reasons for seeing them. Please provide names, addresses and phone numbers.
- A list of previous medical conditions and all previous operations, also including those that are not bone-and-joint related operations.
- A list of all the medications you currently take on a regular basis. You will need the name of the medication, the dosage and the frequency (daily, twice a day, etc.) If you are unsure of the exact details, they can be found on the prescription bottle or packet. Don't forget to include vitamin and mineral supplements or other over-the-counter medications you take regularly. You may be advised to stop taking certain medications or supplements a week or two before your surgery.
- A list of any allergies or adverse reactions you've had to drugs or anaesthesia in the past. Please provide the name of the drug, the reason for taking it and a description of the reaction and when this occurred.
- Details of any dietary restrictions you have.
- Any pre-pre-existing health problems you have, such as diabetes, asthma and heart conditions.
- The details of your insurance coverage, including the name of the insurance company, the plan or group number and contact information. Be sure to bring your insurance cards to the clinic and hospital with you.