Throughout the last three centuries treatment of hip arthritis has evolved from rudimentary surgery to modern total hip arthroplasty (Total Hip Replacement or THR), which is considered one of the most successful surgical interventions ever developed.
Anthony White (1782-1849) of the Westminster Hospital in London is credited with the first excision arthroplasty in 1821. This procedure reduced hip pain and preserved joint movement but joint instability was a problem which resulted from the surgery.
John Rhea Barton (1794-1871) from Philadelphia is credited with performing the first osteotomy on an ankylosed hip in 1826.
Léopold Ollier’s (1830-1900) a surgeon at the Hôtel-Dieu hospital in Lyon, France, in 1885 described the interposition of adipose tissue in uninfected joints.
Berliner Professor Themistocles Glück (1853-1942) led the way in the development of hip implant fixation. In 1891, Glück produced an ivory ball and socket joint that he fixed to bone with nickel-plated screws.
Sir John Charnley (1911-1982) pioneered hip replacement surgery during his time at Wrightington Hospital. In November 1962 the Charnley hip replacement became a practical reality and has become the gold standard for this form of treatment. Clinical and radiographic success of this procedure is now approaching 40 years of follow-up. Charnley's design consisted of two parts; a metal (originally stainless steel) femoral component and a teflon acetabular component; both were fixed to the bone using bone cement (acrylic).